We are a congregation of followers of Jesus from both the Anglican and Methodist traditions. Linden Road Methodist Church and Christ Church joined together in 2005 to form Christchurch Clevedon.
We meet at Chapel Hill, Clevedon BS21 7LL, and with an active both young and old congregation we cater for all ages. The Church also a key part of the community providing an affordable meeting space for small organisations & businesses, youth groups, toddler groups and Pilates & Yoga.
Christchurch is a Grade II listed building and its tower is visible from many places in Clevedon. It underwent internal refurbishment in 2012 and a rebuild of the annexe buildings at the back of the Church. This gives a modern area for smaller groups and a reasonably sized additional small hall for lunches, Receptions and smaller gatherings.
The main area of the Church has a gallery and is large open space without the impediment of supporting Pillars or Pews with acoustics ideal for choirs and small orchestras, as well as bands. It is fitted with an unintrusive modern sound system and two video projectors.
The Church is Victorian and was built in 1839 to accommodate the growing town of Clevedon.
The picture here is what you would have seen soon after 1860, after the addition of porch at the north side of the Church and crocketed pinnacles which were part of the original architectural design. This side largely remains unchanged today.
The Church features several original stain glass windows which, other than one window on the south-east wall, are from the late 1800s.
The far end of the Chancel (which we term the Sanctuary) has remained unchanged since the Church was built, with the exception of replacing the wooden rails with brass in the 1950s. The rest of the Chancel has undergone several alterations over the years with changing needs of the times – organs coming and going, and the pulpit being moved (in 1964) and finally removed (2012).
The Church still has the original Victorian balcony.
In 1920 the Church was extended, adding a small meeting room on the south-east side of the Church. It was more extensively extended in 1970 increasing the meeting room into a small hall and adding a kitchen and second smaller meeting room. These additional parts of the Church were rebuilt in 2012 following numerous problems with the roofs, and to level the area for better accessibility, modernise and improve catering facilities.
After much deliberation, the organ which had undergone many changes was removed during the refurbishment 2012 and replaced with a modern system. Sadly it was in need of significant repair and prevented providing better access to the Church.